The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced this year’s nominees for the 35th annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards, which recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcast journalism and documentary filmmaking. And ITVS is proud to say that nine of our documentaries received 13 nominations for 2013!
PBS received a total of 43 nominations — the most of any network — including 10 nominations for Independent Lens, 11 nominations for FRONTLINE (two for the ITVS-funded Outlawed in Pakistan), and six for POV (including Reportero), so it’s a great day all around for public media documentaries! The News & Documentary Emmy Awards will be presented on Tuesday, September 30th, 2014, in New York City. "These Emmy nominations are a testament to the expemplary journalism that independent documentary filmmakers practice," said Lois Vossen, Independent Lens Deputy Executive Producer. "They reflect the extraordinary vitality and diversity of our vibrant independent documentary community." And without further ado, here are the ITVS films receiving Emmy honors:
- Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - Outstanding Arts and Culture Programming - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- Beauty Is Embarrassing - Outstanding Graphic Design & Art Direction
- Detropia - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- How to Survive a Plague - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form - Best Documentary
- The Invisible War - Best Documentary - Outstanding Investigative Journalism—Long Form
- Outlawed in Pakistan - Outstanding Informational Programming - Long Form - Outstanding Research
- Reportero - Outstanding Informational Programming—Long-Form Continued
- The Revolutionary Optimists - Outstanding Business and Economic Reporting—Long Form
- The Waiting Room - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
From our blog
April 30, 2021
We asked more than 500 community members from across the country to discuss policing and public safety. Read participant's feedback on how communities can improve public safety.
April 6, 2021
The co-directors and producer of the epic PBS docuseries "Philly D.A." share insight on switching from a feature to a series, working with ITVS, why it's good to have it on PBS, and how they got unprecedented access to Larry Krasner's office.
March 8, 2021
ITVS stands in solidarity with Asian communities, as well as Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, as they endure a surge of racist discrimination and hate crimes across the world